Thursday, November 20, 2008

August 11, 2001

Hi, everyone. It's been a while, I know, but my recent focus has been more on writing novel #2, which I'll get to in a minute, rather than many short stories, so the breaking news there has been scarce.

1) New Dan Keohane yahoo list
2) News on the novel #2
3) Quick blurb on #1 etc.

+--------------------------------------------------------------

1) I told myself I wouldn't set up a mailing list using a third party yet because, well, I'm too much of a nobody to need one. But my current list is local to my PC and if the machine crashes, well, bye-bye everyone! Yahoo offers a free mailing list server to anyone wanting to set one up (they just tack on a little ad at the bottom to make their money). THEY DO NOT RELEASE THE EMAIL ADDRESSES to any other party! Honestly. Big point here, since, main reason, they would get no more business if they did.

SO.... if you would like to continue getting these, as irregular as they are (promise), all you need to do is send a blank email to: mailto:dankeohane-subscribe@yahoogroups.com - you'll get an automatic reply, asking you to confirm, by simply replying to THAT email, and you're all done. This way, if you'd prefer not to be on this list, simply do nothing, and you'll "fall off" by default. If you DO, simply do the quick steps above, and you'll be welcomed aboard.

[note: Dan no longer uses yahoo, this is an older email, hence the 2001 date, click link for newsletter above to for getting on his list now]

Speaking of which, on to:

+------------------------

2. I promised myself once the first draft of the new novel is done, I can indulge myself with a quick "Hello." As of a few minutes ago, I've just completed the first draft of my second novel, entitled LAVISH. It's based on a story published last year, and only Nick Kaufmann knows which magazine that was! .

It's a modern take on the Great Flood, and there was a time early on when I didn't think it'd ever get written. At one point the main character, Margaret Carboneau, stands on her town common and wonders how the heck she is going to build an ark. Well, that was MY problem.

In the writing of this 115,000 word epic, a lot of folks have helped me out, and I'm sure more will by the time I'm done with the final draft. When that time comes you'll all get a great hardy nod, I promise!!!! But in today's message, I want to make one particular note of appreciation to a man I actually barely know: John Craig. I was at the point where my character had to build a workable ark, and I put a call for help out to the HWA message board. After some preliminary nautical advice from Okey-buddy Brian Hopkins (thank you, bah!), John Craig emailed me with a "what would you like to know" question. I said EVERYTHING. Before two weeks were out, he had worked out a detailed design of how to build a REAL ark with only plywood and glue from my local Home Depot! I'm over-simplifying of course, but not by much. John even made some preliminary sketches which we never really needed, and had some great advice (I added books, John, honestly). From there, I rocketed forward! Thanks again, Mr. Craig. You were a Godsend (and based on some other events during the writing of this novel, that's not exactly an exaggeration).

I still have a long, laborious revision process ahead, but finishing a first draft of any novel is something worth hootin' and hollerin' about.

+------------------------

3. A quick note on Novel #1: ONE NIGHT AT GOOD SHEPHERD is still with the same editor, with whom I've spoken recently so I should have word on its bright or dark future over the next couple of months. Trust me, if it's good news, you'll all know about it. I could use a few spare prayers on this one and # 2 above, if you have the time.

Like I said, nothing major on the short fiction side lately, except that my story "The Doll Wagon" published in the anthology Poddities this year has received a couple of Bram Stoker recommendations, which is always a nice thing. :-)

OK. That's all. This one was a little longer than I expected (for you new folks, I promise they're usually MUCH shorter - and very infrequent). Again, this is the last DanKeohane update you'll be receiving in its current form....

Thanks! And wish me luck. As I do to all of you.
Dan Keohane

No comments: