Thursday, November 20, 2008

October 9, 2002

In this relatively short email (relative to the Magna Carter, that is):

1. Greetings and apologies
2. Christmas Trees and Monkeys
3. Group Author Signing in Burlington
4. Small but nice kudos, and other stuff

Hi, everyone. It's been quite a while since the last one, but there's some good stuff going on I wanted to get out, especially since I'll be on vacation next week and some of it is timely. I've added a few folks to the mailing list, who have expressed an interest in my writing. I apologize for the intrusion, and understand what it's like to get too much email. I'll take you off the list, no problem, if you'd like. Unsubscribe info at the bottom of this email. Thanks.

===========================
CHRISTMAS TREES and MONKEYS
===========================

At last, I'm putting the final touches on my first collection of short stories, titled CHRISTMAS TREES AND MONKEYS (subtitled: Collected Horror Stories, Volume One). It contains 10 previously published stories, and five never-before-seen pieces. Pieces of *what* you can decide. Every story also has a rambling introduction, a few of which will likely get me into some kind of trouble. There are a handful of small press publishers that do collections, but none of them are even open to submissions these days, so I took another approach. I'm putting this collection together myself, through a group called iUniverse - who will produce and publish the book and pay royalties like any other publisher, which makes my life easier.

100 % of any author royalties the book earns is being donated to the local branch of the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

The collection should be available by the end of the year - before Christmas would be a major treat, but that might not happen (cover art, etc, still needs to be done). I'll send another update when it's ready.

============================================
Group Horror Author Signing in Burlington MA
============================================

Rather than retype this, I'll simply paste in the press release I've been sending out. I should explain that the New England HWA is a group of us dark story tellers, from all levels, who get together regularly throughout the year, and also hold these kinds of events. I'll be part of the group, signing Extremes 4: Darkest Africa (if I can figure out how to sign a CD) and Cemetery Sonata II. I know, too bad CT&Monkeys won't be ready....

Press Release:
------------------------------------------------------------------
The New England Horror Writers Association proudly announces their first Horror Signing Event:

Friday, October 25, 2002
7:30 PM
Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Burlington Massachusetts

If you think the Fall foliage is colorful this time of year, wait until you meet our attending authors, including:

Stanley Wiater, Christopher Golden, Thomas E. Sniegoski, Rick Hautala, Holly Newstein, Jon Merz, Jeffrey Thomas, John D. Harvey, Paul G. Tremblay, Kurt Newton, Michael Arruda, Pete Dudar, Dale N. Walter, Dan Keohane and artist Glenn Chadbourn.

For more information on the event, contact Michael Arruda (Mmarruda@aol.com) or Dan Keohane (daniel.keohane@fidelity.com).
------------------------------------------------------------------
Come on down! (it's me again) The more the merrier!

===========
Kudos. etc
===========

Lastly, just a couple of news tidbits. I've received a few recommendations for a Bram Stoker award (thanks!) for my story "White Wave of Mercy" published earlier this year in Extremes 4: Darkest Africa. I don't expect much from this, as there's dozens (and dozens) of other stories recommended, but it's nice to see.

My story from last year, "The Doll Wagon", has received Honorable Mention in the Year's Best Fantasy and Horror - a major tome which comes out every year showcasing some of the best horror and fantasy stories from the year before. At the end there's always a long section of Honorable Mentions where they list those stories they liked a lot, but which didn't make it into the Big Book (as it's called in the industry, among other things ). A small nod from the Scary Outside World, but it IS one of the things on my Things I Want To Happen Writing-Wise list.

====
Fini
====
OK, that's it. It was pretty long. I apologize for that. In fact I apologize for anything that might be bugging you, it's probably my fault. . Marketing of the novel is progressing, and I'm in the muck and mire of my newest one, a Christian horror novel called Solomon's Grave. It's coming along nicely. If anything happens on the book front you'll all be the first to know, promise.

Thanks for your support!
Dan
http://www.dankeohane.com

No comments: