Thursday, November 20, 2008

August 18, 2006

Hi. Just a quick update with a couple of items during lunch break.

* It's that time of year again. My brother Paul is heading up a team for the 50 mile MS Challenge Walk from Hyannis to Brewster on Cape Cod from September 8th - 10th. Their team, which includes my sister Anne Murphy (who uses a suped up wheelchair gotten especially for these annual events) and brother-in-law Gene Murphy, and many more walkers, is called Wheels and Heels Against MS. If anyone's interested in making a donation / sponsoring, they now have their own website (hooked in with the Multiple Sclerosis site):
you can go to http://www.wheelsandheelsagainstms.com/ Best of luck, everyone!

Ok, as for writing:

* My story "Living by the Highway" was a finalist for the annual Chiaroscuro story contest (www.chizine.com) recently. I know, that and a cup of coffee, etc.. but considering it was out of 350 entries and judged by the likes of Ellen Datlow and Neil Gaiman, not too bad a thing. A long, long time ago I'd written another story (long filed away from the light of day) with the same title. I always liked the title, so I set out to write a brand new story around it. Came out pretty good I think. Anyway, time to find a new place to sell it to. After vacation, though...

* The prospects are starting to dim regarding the Russian edition of Solomon's Grave. The publisher Alfaret (www.alfaret.com) seems to have changed direction to historical Russian-specific nonfiction. No word yet on what they plan to do with the book, since they've already translated it and even paid me an advance (non-refundable, sorry). I'll let you know if hear anything new.

* On the good news side, the Italian edition of Solomon's Grave (which they renamed to "il Segreto de Solomone" (The Secret of Solomon" - I guess it sounds better in Italian) is moving full steam ahead - slated for publication in October by Edizioni il Punto d'Incontro (http://www.edizionilpuntodincontro.it/ - click on "Novita 2006" ("New for 2006") and scroll down to Ottobre 2006 (October 2006) and you'll see it. I have a bigger image of the cover on my website.

* Finally, not writing related, though: my 14-year old son Andrew has inherited my slightly skewed sense of humor (and surpassed it, I'm afraid). He now has an online store through Café Press where he's selling mugs , shirts, etc, with his own original artwork. They're very cool. Check it out at http://www.cafepress.com/ligertrap

Ok, that's it for now. Have to get ready for vacation...
Dan

No comments: