Thursday, November 20, 2008

September 1, 2005

Hi, folks. Things are progressing nicely on the writing front, though nothing overly concrete to report at the moment. But some... plus the fact it's been a long time since the last note. Also, the annual MS walk is always an impetus for me to send one of these out....

So, what's inside today:

1. Annual MS 50 mile Walk
2. Matthew's Miles
3. Plague of Darkness and other news
4. Coffee Mugs and Light Switch Covers
5. Winners of the World


========================================
Annual Keohane MS Walk September 9th
========================================

Every year some folks from my family form a team to do the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) 50-mile walk, in honor of our sister Anne. A number of folks ask me each year if this is going to happen, so I thought I'd send this note out and give you an update. Beginning Friday September 9th, and lasting the entire weekend, Paul and his team will do it again. This year, he's joined (possibly) by Anne herself! Unfortunately, my sister was injured in a bad fall recently, but she's pushing to do at least part of the course regardless (MS or not, she's always been a lot stronger than me, that's for sure), seated on a special wheelchair which Paul has been practicing extra hard to be able to push it the distance if need-be (because of his training, he's been spending a lot of time looking at his muscles in the mirror - if he doesn't turn to stone, I think he'll do OK). In the meantime, if anyone is interesting in sponsoring the team, the link is

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/MAM/personal/my_team.asp?pa=43389013&pd=MAM0EMSC20050909COD

(you may have to cut/paste the string into your browser if that last COD is
not part of the hyperlink)

or you can contact Paul or Anne directly at (email links modified to prevent spam spiders, FYI) keohane_paul at emc dot com or
murphy851 at comcast dot net, respectively.

============================
Matthew's Miles October 8th
============================

Another call to arms I'd like to note is horror author and friend John "Jack" Passarella's fund for brain tumor research called Matthew's Miles (www.matthewsmiles.org), named in honor of his son who has been battling a stubborn brain tumor since his initial diagnosis (and two major surgeries) since 2001. October 8th marks the 3rd Annual Matthew's Miles Walk For a Brain Tumor Cure. There is also a big auction with items donated from some major celebrities across the world. Please check out the site listed above, as I know I won't do it justice trying to describe it here. There's a ton of information and a way to make a pledge.

=====================================
The Plague is Finished and Out There
=====================================

Hmm. Rather ominous title, but eye catching. What it means is that PLAGUE OF DARKNESS, my latest novel, is done, finished, perfecto, has been sent to the publisher who has been waiting patiently to read it for the past few months. I should hear a yay or nay or maybe sometime in September, per the editor.

While I wait, I'm stepping into the Way Back Machine to two novels earlier, and giving a once-over to Margaret's Ark, my Great Flood novel originally written and finished in late 2001, then revamped a bit hastily into a Christian novel on '02. It's based on the story "Lavish" written way, way back in 1998. Now that I've gotten my hands around a lot of things, time to readdress this beloved book, smooth out the wrinkles and get it to where it should be.

Once that's done, I have a very cool (in my own mind), novel series called WAILS & GNASHING - one I'd started for a brief time on the website but which I think could be a very fun Dark Shadows Meets The Guiding Light Meets This Present Darkness, with an evil clown thrown in for good measure.... but one thing at a time. One thing at a time....

On the Short Story front, now that PLAGUE is finished I promised myself I'd finish a couple of shorts started a while back. Also, "I Am The Ocean" written with Steve Dorato will be posted at Feral Fiction (www.feralfiction.com) sometime later this year. I'll let y'all know when that happens.

=========================
CT&M products on website
=========================

Oh, that's right... not that you have to buy anything, but I've been using this cool site called Café Press to make products with the Christmas Treesand Monkeys cover on them, used as Christmas gifts, etc. Anyhow, I decided to open this "store" up from the website if anyone wants to buy anything. There are mouse pads, shirts, mugs, and even a light switch cover. Go to www.dankeohane.com and select "Dan's Store ", or go straight to http://www.cafepress.com/dankeohane/ . Not all the images are the CT&M cover. Now and then I throw in one of my paintings as well. There's currently an "Uncle Dan Is Watching Mug" (a self portrait I made for my niece Taryn). This is purely for fun. No sales pressure, but there are a ton of other stores at Cafe Press, some pretty creative, that are worth checking out...

==============
Video winners
==============
OK, it's getting late and I really have to get going to work. Big Congrats to the following THREE newsletter list folks who each won a horror/sci-fi video from my secret treasure vault! Russ Lewis screamed and cried when he held THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL in his tear-dampened hands, Marilyn Keohane (aka "Mom") danced among the flowers in the field of her dreams with WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, and Fran Bellerive laughed in a slightly-psychotic manner, eyes glazed and head thrown back in seizure-like joy when presented with ALTERED STATES!

Wow, that was a long sentence. Nice job you guys! OK, since this newsletter's going out, that means someone else, maybe even you, will win. Win! WIN! Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! (That last statement pretty much guarantees this email will get eaten by the spam blockers for half of you).

Gotta run. So do you. Go with God, and be nice to people.

Dan Keohane

No comments: