Thursday, November 20, 2008

February 27, 2003

Hi, everyone, just a quickie with some good news:

1. "White Wave of Mercy" and CHRISTMAS TREES and MONKEYS on Stoker Prelim
Ballot
2. Reading tomorrow night at the Lizard Lounge
3. OF FLESH AND HUNGER anthology coming out next month

========================================
Bram Stoker Preliminary Ballot Announced
========================================

The Horror Writers Association have announced the Bram Stoker Award
preliminary ballot for works published in 2002. This is the horror
industry's equivalent of the Nebula Award, or the Hugo, for those of you who
might know those names better. And... yours truly has gotten in there twice!
Whoo hoo!

Under the Short Fiction category: "White Wave of Mercy", originally
published in Extremes 4: Darkest Africa (which is also on the ballot under
Anthology), and my recent collection CHRISTMAS TREES AND MONKEYS. This
latter was somewhat of a surprise, considering how late in the year it came
out, but it's been picking up a lot of steam lately.

The full preliminary ballot can be viewed here:
http://www.horror.org/stokerballots.htm

Now, there's three steps left. All voting members of the HWA will receive
the ballot and cast their weighted votes for their top 3 choices in each
category. The top 4 from each category, after all voting has been done, will
then be put on the FINAL ballot (and can then officially say they have been
NOMINATED). This ballot will then go back out to the voting members and they
do it again. The winner will be announced the night of June 7th (and the eve
of my 40th birthday... a sign? ) in New York. So, a long way to go, but
an honor.

Best of luck to everyone on my humble mailing list who are also on the
ballot (I started to list you all here but it was getting way too long and I
started getting paranoid I was missing someone ). Check out the ballot,
and you'll see quickly that I'm in incredible company.

To learn more about the collection, or to read "White Wave of Mercy" if
you're a voting HWA member and would like to consider it, check out my page
at:

http://www.sff.net/people/keohane/ctm.htm

I'm offering CT&M at my cost to any voting HWA member if you're interest. As
they say on TV, this is for a Limited Time Only! :-) And check out some
wicked killer quotes I've received on the book so far while you're in there.

As well, I have a couple of extra copies of Lone Wolf's EXTREMES 4: DARKEST
AFRICA, a CD-ROM anthology and the ONLY place you can see the incredible
artwork by M.W. Anderson for the story itself. Yep, there is an illustration
(and it's really cool), and the CD contains a video introduction to the
story my me. You also have well over a dozen more incredible stories but
some fantastic authors, all illustrated, printable, etc.

Anyhow, if anyone wants Extremes 4: Darkest Africa, the few I have are
available at my deep author discount of $11!! Supplies very limited...

===========================================
Reading tomorrow night at the Lizard Lounge
===========================================

Tomorrow night I'll be reading from CT&M at the Writers With Drinks series
at the Lizard Lounge in Cambridge MA. Rather than repeat the spiel here,
I'll let you check out their website for all the stuff. Should be
interesting, there's quite an eclectic group of stories being read. I'll let
you know how it goes!

http://www.writerswithdrinks.com

=============================
of Flesh and Hunger anthology
=============================

The upcoming anthology "of Flesh and Hunger", edited by John Lawson, will be
coming out at the end of next month as an e-book from Double Dragon
publishing (http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/). It's an incredible
line-up of stories, all with Cannibalism as the overall these. I know... but
I've read a couple, and I'm serious when I say these are - bizarre at times,
yes - but a fantastic bunch of tales. My story, "Selection", is a science
fiction / cannibalism story. That description should be enough to get you
excited! :-) Not sure when it'll be available for pre-order, soon, I'd
wager.

===
Bye
===
OK, that's it. A fun time all around, lately. No word on the novels, yet,
but something's brewing - I know, I've said that before. You never know
in this business. You need a lot of patience and even more prayer.

Until next time....
Dan Keohane
http://www.dankeohane.com/
Who used the word "eclectic" in sentence in this email, did you notice? I'm
a cultured guy....

No comments: